Welcome to Being Mom. We are so happy that you are spending some time here today. This blog is designed for visitors to explore modern parenting in the Catholic Faith. Raising children is difficult in an unsure world. Raising children in the Faith can be just as difficult. We invite you to read and comment, gain some insight on service and education, and discover and share ways to contribute to the community. Treat yourself .

Friday, January 11, 2008

Who's Excited for Lent

Lent was never my favorite season in the Church calendar. As a kid, it always seemed so solemn. All I knew was that I had to give something up as Jesus had given his life. One year, the Sisters at school said that we should give up something that we really loved. So I gave up cucumbers, my favorite snack in the whole world. (My mother was a health-nut like I am today.) When she asked what I had given up, and I told her cucumbers, she protested. She said I had to pick something else. I never could find a satisfactory substitute.

As I become older, I sacrificed on a grander scale. I once gave up television. (I had the best grades ever during that quarter.) I gave up candy once. (The dentist was happy about that.) It wasn't until I became a twenty-something that the sacrifices became more about cleansing myself of negativity and giving of myself more and more to God. I pledged to be more prayerful. I pledged to me more understanding. I pledged to be more giving of my material goods. (Though there was never much to give, especially in college.) When my husband and I married, our first Lent together was spent largely apart. I was pregnant and miserable and he was working. So I have grown to almost dread this season. I lose my husband to a landslide of work commitments and I have to work harder spiritually and physically.

But this year, something is different. I'm looking forward to Lent. I can't really explain it except to say that there is a normalcy in this ritual cleansing that I am craving this year. Our family has experienced some abnormalities this last year and I like knowing what I can expect, to some degree, this Lent. It's like a spring cleaning for the spirit where I am able to do more and be more for others. Plus, the little one can understand more this year, so maybe it will have even more meaning for our family. I invite everyone to get more excited about Lent as an opportunity rather than an obligation.

No comments: