Welcome to Being Mom. We are so happy that you are spending some time here today. This blog is designed for visitors to explore modern parenting in the Catholic Faith. Raising children is difficult in an unsure world. Raising children in the Faith can be just as difficult. We invite you to read and comment, gain some insight on service and education, and discover and share ways to contribute to the community. Treat yourself .

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Service

I have to admit it. Service has taken a backseat in our family, recently. When the little one turned two this past fall, my husband and I decided that it was time to do one family service project every month. Nothing outragious or grand, just a litte something that would drive the point home that we should do for others as Christ did. Well, we were successful in October, but that was as far as it went. Now, Lent is fast approaching (Feb. 6th is Ash Wednesday) and I am reminded more and more of the need for Christain Service.

Our parish, like many others, introduce Operation Rice Bowl through Catholic Relief Services. Operation Rice Bowl provides assistance to developing communities throughout the world so that they can have improved argiculture, water maintaince, mother and child care, microfinance, education, and AIDS/HIV need projects. This is a great way for families to throw some spare change that has been lying between the couch cushions into good use. Well, this was a red flag to me that we have let service slip by this winter.

But there are many other ways that we can show giving of ourselves. Make A Difference in 15, one of my favorite websites, can help with some ideas of how to create family service projects or maybe even individual service projects that can make an impact on many lives. One of my favorites is the used clothing ideas for women. As spring approaches (maybe), we all have some clothes that could be put to better use.

But the best is really giving the simple things. Is there someone ill or super stressed in your family, community, parish that could use a little pick-me-up? Send them a card. Is there a really active family in your neighborhood that would appreciate a playdate or a bannana bread and a cup of coffee? Is there someone that would appreciate a visit or a lift to the store? I know that I have been hyperfocused on my family's needs lately (with some good reason) and I have been reluctant to give anything of mine to others. As Lent approaches, I will be trying to work on that.

No comments: