Welcome to Being Mom. We are so happy that you are spending some time here today. This blog is designed for visitors to explore modern parenting in the Catholic Faith. Raising children is difficult in an unsure world. Raising children in the Faith can be just as difficult. We invite you to read and comment, gain some insight on service and education, and discover and share ways to contribute to the community. Treat yourself .

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Knitting Knutts

I have to admit it. I am a knitting nut! I love to play around with new stitches and yarns. I love to spin wools and other fibers for a real homespun look.

When I was an adolescent, not a pretty time in my past, I latched on to the fiber arts like most teenagers latch on to parties. I was small and socially awkward. I hadn't yet figured out my own personal style. ( And don't think that I have quite mastered style even still.) My parents did not have much, but for a time they owned a small store on Main Street in our small town. A sister of our neighbor often demonstrated fiber arts and my parents invited her to demonstrate at the store. I was fascinated. I asked to learn how to spin right away, but the response was, "What would you do with all that yarn if you do not know how to knit?" So I learned how to knit first. My mother and I went to all kinds of knitting and spinning club meetings and bees for years. It's a great hobby to share with kids. I can't wait till my little is old enough, but I sure do love the baby sweater phase, too.

As an adult, I just do not have the time or resources to donate to the cause anymore. But I still try new patterns and yarns. This year I have decided that everyone next Christmas is going to get something hand knitted. I started the day after this past Christmas and so far no real progress. With all the sickness running around our family, I haven't knitted much, but I am still committed. Maybe soon I'll have a scarf or something to show for all the hard work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every day I learn something new about you.