Welcome to Being Mom. We are so happy that you are spending some time here today. This blog is designed for visitors to explore modern parenting in the Catholic Faith. Raising children is difficult in an unsure world. Raising children in the Faith can be just as difficult. We invite you to read and comment, gain some insight on service and education, and discover and share ways to contribute to the community. Treat yourself .

Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Kitchen

Ah, the kitchen. The center of our house. Maybe it's because with two adults and a growing toddler we eat constantly. Maybe it's because of the yummy meals that come from love. Maybe because it is one of the few times we all sit still and enjoy each other all day. Maybe it's because if you ever want to talk to me for any length of time, you'll find me in the kitchen. Maybe its because we watch too much Food Network. I'm not exactly sure what the recipe was, but I'm sure glad that it has worked out that way.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot keep the little one out of the kitchen. I panic when I am cooking and she is anywhere close to the kitchen. I think it is just too dangerous. But she is curious and wants to be with mommy. When she was little I could give her a plastic spatula and a bowl and she would go to town. We even bought her her very own kitchen. She has little interest in it. She wants to be in the real kitchen. After I have regained some patience, I usually try and have her help in the kitchen. She has been helping prepare meals and baked goods for about 6 months now. I put her in her booster seat, strap her in, and let her mix ingredients. Recently, she has become really good at pouring and cracking eggs. She loves it.

As she gets older, and bigger, she has become a climber. She can get on, over, under, between anything in our house. Yesterday, she decided that the booster seat was just not going to cut it. Within two seconds, she hopped up on a dining room chair, knelt, put her elbows on the table and asked what she could help with. After my heart leaped in panic, I couldn't help but smile. (She has a way of making me do that.) She seemed steady. So I cut some oven baked potato fries and had her season them while we talked and snacked on broccoli stems. When daddy came home for dinner, I told him that Emma made the fries. He asked her if this was true. She smiled and casually said, "Yeah." As if to say, "No big deal, wait till you see what I will do when I get older." We all can't wait for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you "can't wait for that" but are not rushing this stage of wonder and delight.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Robert still terrifies me in the kitchen. He keeps trying to climb into the dishwasher and the oven. I'm still nervous about letting him feed himself let alone help cooking.