Welcome to Being Mom. We are so happy that you are spending some time here today. This blog is designed for visitors to explore modern parenting in the Catholic Faith. Raising children is difficult in an unsure world. Raising children in the Faith can be just as difficult. We invite you to read and comment, gain some insight on service and education, and discover and share ways to contribute to the community. Treat yourself .

Monday, February 11, 2008

Shrimp Box

We've learned that in order for the little one to have a good time grocery shopping, she has to help us shop. She has her jobs: she picks the cucumbers, she chooses the bananas, and she bags the broccoli, and so on. She will also hold on to certain items for us as we shop. Well, today she has become very attached to a store brand box of storage bags. The box depicts a bag of shrimp. This has now become known as "Shrimp Box." She must hold on to it at all times. She plays a catch game with shrimp box and it dreaming about eating shrimp.

As crazy as it sounds, this is not out of the ordinary for our family. We have always taken the little one shopping and we have tried to have her be apart of the meal making process as possible. It is a conscious effort on our part to teach healthy eating habits and have her appreciate her heritage through food. (Let's face it; a large part of Italian culture is our food.) I grew up this way and as I came of age I noticed that I was different from others. I ate different food. I knew and embraced more of my heritage than others. I was healthier and I had a better relationship with my folks. (Everything always happened in the kitchen, especially a great deal of dialogue.)

So, although it can be nuts sometimes, having children apart of the cooking process, it can be beneficial. Cook with someone you love.

No comments: