Welcome to Being Mom. We are so happy that you are spending some time here today. This blog is designed for visitors to explore modern parenting in the Catholic Faith. Raising children is difficult in an unsure world. Raising children in the Faith can be just as difficult. We invite you to read and comment, gain some insight on service and education, and discover and share ways to contribute to the community. Treat yourself .

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day

Earth day. A day designed to encourage people to care for the planet. We are asked to nurture and care for others and everything that God has provided. It is always a step in the right direction when we listen and respond to the needs of others: person or planet.

In our home, we recycle, use reusable bags when we shop, we installed CFL's and have fuel efficient cars. We buy local foods and use reusable bottles for our water on trips. We do as much as we are able, but it still seems to me like the news is getting this false impression that people are still not doing enough. Millions recycle and have been since the early '90's. CFL's were economic long before the Green movement took hold.

The real solutions to these global issues lie in the hands of lawmakers. People want to see more done. Progress, please. Do not wait till gas is $4.00 a gallon before you make a fuel efficient family car that can handle a real winter. I cannot put a wind turbine in my backyard, nor can I afford solar panels. Until a music director can make zillions of dollars, this is it. I pray that someday this issue will be a distant memory and all people will care for what God has provided.

What do you and your family do for Earth Day?

1 comment:

sarahbais said...

I agree that it is policy that needs to change.

I also wanted to leave a comment because I happened to stumble upon your blog. My husband and I are R Catholic and are expecting our first child in August! You're blog seems wonderful so I'm gonna follow you! :D

Thanks for all of your great posts.